Last year, we decided we were going to do a summer fun family day and pack as many exciting things into one day as we could handle. This year, while trying to recreate the tradition,
we ran into a weather roadblock.
We started off by packing a picnic and heading off to West Lake for lunch and then
some swimming at the beach.
As we were driving there, we kept seeing the exterior thermometer in the car going down about one degree every couple of minutes. By the time we made it to West Lake, we got out of the car (in our shorts and swimwear) and were freezing. We weren't going to let the cold ruin our picnic, so Abby and I wrapped up in beach towels and we continued to eat our food under a shelter... listening to thunder. Unfortunately, because of the rain that accompanied that thunder, we couldn't play on the equipment or go swimming, so we headed home.
We took off the beach towels for a photo and then quickly wrapped back up.
That night, we headed to the Rock Island County Fair, just as we did last year, and the weather held out enough for us to eat some amazing fair junk food, ride some rides, play some games and check out the animals.
Abby had a blast going from ride to ride and stuffing cotton candy into her mouth, while Jackson was a bit unsure about, well, everything. He cried for the first thirty seconds on the carousel, but then enjoyed the rest (no worries, he was strapped in and I held him the entire time).
Abby then enjoyed the motorcycles and kept hitting her horn every time she passed us by, which was hilarious.
Next up we all did the giant slide and I think I was more hesitant and scared than Jax was. I was holding onto him for dear life but he seemed to enjoy it.
He wanted to do it again immediately after we finished.
Matt and Abby went on the Strawberry tilt a whirl type ride together (I would have vomited)
while Jax, Grandpa and I did a little people watching.
Fairs may be one of the best people watching spots ever.
To finish off the night, we checked out all of the animals and
Abby even got to feed some small goats (and carry one around for a few minutes).
Jackson was mimicking every animal noise that he heard which was pretty hilarious.
Before we headed home, Jax got a little sleepy and crashed in the stroller.
Cheers to fun summer family traditions!
No comments:
Post a Comment